Skip to main content

Christmas Break Recap...

I had an amazing time with my family back in North Carolina.  We were able to go to the beach for five days, just chilling out, talking, and resting.  That is the best quality time in my opinion.  None of us had anything to do except for my older sister but we all were able to just wake up late, take long walks on the beach, and chill in the hot tub.  We had no agenda and nothing we had to do, therefore we played cards, watched movies, and just talked.  I loved that time.  
Then we came back to the house for Christmas day.  We did a version of our typical Christmas morning which normally occurs in this order; wake up, wait to come downstairs, take pictures on the stairs, read the birth of Christ, open some presents, eat an amazing french toast breakfast, open some more presents, then nap for the rest of the day while waking to play with the new gadgets and gizmos.  This year we ate, went to church, then opened presents.  The major difference this year was that my brother and I go zero gifts because we don't really need anything material.  We both got our ski trips financed by our parents which helps out a lot because skiing is not cheap.  My mother got the bulk of the gifts with my little sister coming in close second.  Christmas was fun, but the gifts don't really matter that much now because if we "need" something we just go out and buy it.  We do not wait until Christmas to have Santa bring it.  

Then on Tuesday our cousins came over for our normal meeting with my fathers side of the Family.  This time was very special because it was the first Christmas without my grandfather.  That is very difficult for all of us because he was such a special man, but the Lord has his plan and he says his plan is much much better than our plan so I will trust that!  My Aunt made some amazing presents for us cousins.  She put together a frame with some of my grandfathers pins, ties, hats, and some special pictures of us with him.  She made on frame for each of us grandchildren, each one is different, mine is going to have to find a special place in my room to occupy.   Aunt June also made personalized Christmas ornaments depicting our summer ventures. Mine had all of the countries I visited this summer, the Theta Xi letters and my initials.  Those type of gifts are so much more valued in my opinion than anything that could be purchased from a store.  

We found a lot of old pictures on Tuesday so I scanned them in.
They are really cool.  Check out my Google+ pictures for more of them.

On Thursday we traveled to Tarboro, North Carolina to meet with our second cousins on my dads side.  I really enjoyed that time because I got to catch up with family that I only see once a year.  We were able to just sit in the dining room and talk about life, what was new, how we were changing, and what the future may hold for us.  I got to play with Sadie, she is one of my young second cousins, we built an umbrella.  The only problem was she wanted an umbrella that opened and closed like a real umbrella.  We were using popsicle sticks and tape so it took some thinking to get it to work.  The great thing is that she was the one thinking up most of the ideas, I would just guide her along in that though process.  She was a champ though and we eventually got a miniature umbrella that opened and closed.  The smile on her face was well worth the hour and a half we invested in that project.  

We left Tarboro around 4:30 and did not get home until around 9:30.  Traveling from Chapel Hill to Tarboro takes about 2hrs, but when you get a flat and ride on a spare on back roads in rural North Carolina it takes some more time.  Also we had to wait for a tow truck for over an hour because we did not have a jack to get the blow tire off the car and get the spare on.  All ended well and we were safe the whole time so thats a blessing!

Now I am down in Atlanta a few days early for Passion Conference.  Kelly had to get back to Arkansas to prepare for classes on Tuesday so I was came back to Atlanta early but thats all good in my book.  Now I have time to work on a lot of projects that I put off during the semester.  I plan on starting to tear apart our room for the remodeling we have planned this semester.  Also I hope to scan in a lot of old photos that are in the attic of the old house.  There are thousands of old photos that need to preserved and I have a few extra days so that will be a fun project to protect some of the history of this Fraternity.  
I hope this post does not have to many error I enjoy getting my thoughts out but then rereading over them, not so much.  
Another project for the break, see how many pieces of technology can I use at the same time!!!

All is Great in the Lord

Paul Shackelford

Popular posts from this blog

Rise Again - Needtobreathe

I have been reading a book about the arts and Christians role in creating culture.  Steve Turner, the author, asserts a major critique that modern Christian art does not speak about real life.  The art created does not sound genuine or have any ties to real life that people outside the faith can connect with.  While reading the book I listened through this album and I think that this song does a great job of breaking the mold.  The members of Needtobreathe are all outspoken followers of Jesus but very little of the art that they produce mentions Jesus or Christianity at all.  Instead they craft creative music, written from places of pain and joy.   "Rise Again"  steps through pain that occurs in life as we see relationships stretched and torn.  The bitterness of broken hearts and friendships is then contrasted with the truth that we will get up from this pain and rise again.   "I can see us moving on, I can feel that coming on strong", the joy that comes after the

Twenty-Four - Jess Ray

Lately I have been listening to lots of music and podcasts while working and biking to work.  I was feeling a need for some new music so I turned to NoiseTrade to check out some new artists.  My favorite thus far is Jess Ray because of the honest lyrics, tastefully simple musicality and overall enjoyable listening environment.  While on my flight back to Atlanta I was struck by this song at first because of the drums that propel this song behind the walking guitar.  If I were to add drums to a track like this it would have been done in a very similar manner.  Once I got past the drums I was awe struck by the simple power of these lyrics, take a read below and follow the link to her blog to listen.   To me it was not written for an outward expression of hope or encouragement but rather as a inward proclamation to the soul.  As the psalmist often choose to sing, this song speaks inward in a call to stand up and be reminded of truth all to often forgotten.  As I gear up for the star

You Will Be My Ain True Love - Alison Kraus

This song has so much power, even if you remove the lyrics.  I just decided to take in the full potential of the song by turning the stereo all the way up and playing the song a few times.  Before even looking for a video of this song I knew it was related to the Civil War and the separation that occurred between loved ones.  This song starts out explaining the battle field and how the soldier has survived the terrors of war.  As the song continues to build you can tell that the soldier wants to be with his love.  They have been separated by this war and now he wants to be back with her.  The last few lines portray his death and how he has been reunited with his "True Love".  I believe that this song describes his "True Love" as God, our eternal True Love. He has returned to his maker after being killed in Battle and this song paints that picture so well. This song has tons of power in the music behind the lyrics, it adds so much to the meaning of this song!