Skip to main content

Brother - Needtobreathe

I have been listening to this new Needtobreathe album and I really want to take this evening to relax and listen through the album slowly analyzing the lyrics.  Enjoy one of my favorite tracks and expect an explosion of posts in the next 48 hours.


Brother Let Me Be Your Shelter
Needtobreathe is comprised of two brothers and childhood friends and as you follow this group you realize more and more of the tension produced by years and years on tour.  If you want a window into the full story simply follow this link and watch a short documentary they created called "Prove the Poets Wrong".

Never Leave You All Alone
I Can Be The One To Call When You're Low
Tonight I feel the Love that draws me back home to Georgia Tech for another semester with my Brothers at Theta Xi.  In the years I have seen relationships come and go due to my actions and the actions of others.  But the one thing that I know is that the men who surround me on campus are my shelter and when the going gets tough they are not going to leave me alone.  They are the ones that I call, the one that I confide in, the ones that I know will listen to my heart and speak truth.  Speaking words that sting in the moment, stirring up pain and rebellion but once that storm calms wisdom prevails. 

Brother let me be your fortress when the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way 
Bring you home
This summer while I live on the other side of the world I am very thankful for the power of technology that enables my friends to remain as the ones who light my way.  Pointing my wayward self back to the water that satisfies and the giver of all life.  Learning the power of community has been the journey of my past two years.  Since SDP and times of chosen isolation I see the scars that are caused by not letting my brothers point me home.  Allowing my selfish stupidity and pride to direct my steps away from the light and towards the darkness.  "Like a bull chasing a matador is a man left to his own schemes"  Yep that is me and in the weeks before leaving for this summer trip I learned how much I need someone beside me.  I have been called out as one who validates his own thoughts without regard reaching out for wisdom or advice.  Simply a current flaw that I can not wait to see transformed into place of restoration. Redemption has a sweet taste but I feel like I only get a taste between seasons in the desert place.  Only when I am at like a child or wounded animal do I cry out for help from those around me.  

I ain't made for a rivalry and I could never take the world alone 
I know that in my weakness I am stronger
but it's your love that brings me home
The effects of competition and comparison can be felt in any relationship.  I do not speak of this often but the competition that I crafted between myself and my siblings was a very destructive motivator before I left NC and game to GA.  Many actions were based on rivalry be it in school, sports, or simply seeking the affection of our parents.  Leaving for college finally taught me that I was not actually competing with them.  I was simply competing with myself trying to compare my accomplishments to the actions of their past.  It took a few years before I could actual write them praising the amazing gifts that they have been given and truly rejoice with them!  Seeing that family is so precious and vital to each and every human.  That I can not take this world alone, I may be weak but the Love of family brings strength.  I feel bad for my children because I can only wish to be half that man that my father has been and any future Mrs. Shackelford has some big shoes to fill!

I know that my writing comes out like shrapnel from a cannon but this writing tends to be medicinal for me and not truly intended for the consumption of the masses.  Over the next few hours or days I will be posting the rest of this album and I would highly recommend buying a copy of "Rivers in the Wasteland".

Ramblers in the wilderness
Yeah we can't find what we need
We get a little restless from the searching 
Get a little worn down in between
Like a bull chasing a matador is man left to his own schemes
But everybody needs someone beside em
Shining like a light from the sea

Brother let me be your shelter 
Never leave you all alone
I can be the one to call when you're low
Brother let me be your fortress when the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way 
Bring you home

Face down in the desert now 
There's a cage locked around my heart 
I found a way to drop the keys where my failures were
now my hands can't reach that far
I ain't made for a rivalry and I could never take the world alone 
I know that in my weakness I am stronger
but it's your love that brings me home



All is Well from Prince George Park,
Paul Shackelford


Popular posts from this blog

Rise Again - Needtobreathe

I have been reading a book about the arts and Christians role in creating culture.  Steve Turner, the author, asserts a major critique that modern Christian art does not speak about real life.  The art created does not sound genuine or have any ties to real life that people outside the faith can connect with.  While reading the book I listened through this album and I think that this song does a great job of breaking the mold.  The members of Needtobreathe are all outspoken followers of Jesus but very little of the art that they produce mentions Jesus or Christianity at all.  Instead they craft creative music, written from places of pain and joy.   "Rise Again"  steps through pain that occurs in life as we see relationships stretched and torn.  The bitterness of broken hearts and friendships is then contrasted with the truth that we will get up from this pain and rise again.   "I can see us moving on, I can feel that coming on strong", the joy that comes after the

Twenty-Four - Jess Ray

Lately I have been listening to lots of music and podcasts while working and biking to work.  I was feeling a need for some new music so I turned to NoiseTrade to check out some new artists.  My favorite thus far is Jess Ray because of the honest lyrics, tastefully simple musicality and overall enjoyable listening environment.  While on my flight back to Atlanta I was struck by this song at first because of the drums that propel this song behind the walking guitar.  If I were to add drums to a track like this it would have been done in a very similar manner.  Once I got past the drums I was awe struck by the simple power of these lyrics, take a read below and follow the link to her blog to listen.   To me it was not written for an outward expression of hope or encouragement but rather as a inward proclamation to the soul.  As the psalmist often choose to sing, this song speaks inward in a call to stand up and be reminded of truth all to often forgotten.  As I gear up for the star

You Will Be My Ain True Love - Alison Kraus

This song has so much power, even if you remove the lyrics.  I just decided to take in the full potential of the song by turning the stereo all the way up and playing the song a few times.  Before even looking for a video of this song I knew it was related to the Civil War and the separation that occurred between loved ones.  This song starts out explaining the battle field and how the soldier has survived the terrors of war.  As the song continues to build you can tell that the soldier wants to be with his love.  They have been separated by this war and now he wants to be back with her.  The last few lines portray his death and how he has been reunited with his "True Love".  I believe that this song describes his "True Love" as God, our eternal True Love. He has returned to his maker after being killed in Battle and this song paints that picture so well. This song has tons of power in the music behind the lyrics, it adds so much to the meaning of this song!