Skip to main content

What Keeps Me Awake at Night

You can tell what you really care about when it keeps you awake at night.  Tonight(10/8/2013 11:55pm) I have been unable to sleep due to the current state of sexuality on my campus and the college culture towards sexuality in general.  Therefore I am going to write until I get tired and can close my eyes without the rush of these thoughts.  Two summers ago while at SDP an identity was spoken over me that often haunts me...  I am called a Pillar of Purity, often times in my life I have not walked in this identity!  I have taken my sexuality and traded it for instant satisfaction, throughout high school I dove head first seeking all of the gratification I could.  I ran from the Lord mainly in this area of my life...  I would wake up on Sunday and head to church and feel intense guilt and shame for my sin but would not change my ways.  Feeling the guilt of sin often drives me further from the Lord and deeper into that sin!  Therefore it was such an amazing feeling to arrive at Tech and meet a community that opened my eyes to how the Father sent his son not to condemn us but set us free.  Oh how sweet freedom feels, life rushes into dead areas and Love is born!  Jesus came to this world not to condemn those who walk away but to offer them life and Love!  Therefore when I see people not aware of this God who cares so much for his children that he sent his own son to die so that they could have Life, my heart breaks!  My heart breaks even more when I see friends of mine fall back into sin that once captured my soul and would not let me free.  When I meditate on sin my mind is utterly lost and I can not think of anything else.  The Father has placed a calling upon my life to fight for the purity of those around me.  Thus when I see my brothers and sisters, believers and nonbelievers walking in sexual sin my heart is destroyed!  I do not know what to say, what to think, or have any clue what I should do.  Often I am left laying in my bed with the one question running through my head...  WHY!?!? WHY!?!? There is no answer to my questions...  I know most of the cookie cutter answers to my question but none of them answer what I am really asking.   What I am really asking is why has Jesus not come back to this broken place and fully restored all of it.  I want to see the day when sexuality in its entirety is enjoyed for its entire purpose of unity and intimacy.  Oh the day when Heaven finally comes to Earth and the new Heavens and the New Earth are established.  I know I am running all over the place but this is my simply spilling my thoughts...   What breaks my heart and keeps me from sleeping will be different than what keeps you up at night but just know that God is knocking on your heart.  That knocking is an invitation into knowing who he has created you to be and how you are to glorify him as you live out of your passions.


I am finishing up this post this morning(10/9/3012 9:55am) and I simply sit in a very humbled state because of the God I fear and Love.  For his Love is sweeter than life itself and his glory eclipses every idol we could ever worship!  Jesus is the reason that now I can come to the creator of the universe and lay my heart out and allow him to cover me with peace.  His mercies are new every morning!

Resting in the House of my Lord
Paul Shackelford

Popular posts from this blog

Rise Again - Needtobreathe

I have been reading a book about the arts and Christians role in creating culture.  Steve Turner, the author, asserts a major critique that modern Christian art does not speak about real life.  The art created does not sound genuine or have any ties to real life that people outside the faith can connect with.  While reading the book I listened through this album and I think that this song does a great job of breaking the mold.  The members of Needtobreathe are all outspoken followers of Jesus but very little of the art that they produce mentions Jesus or Christianity at all.  Instead they craft creative music, written from places of pain and joy.   "Rise Again"  steps through pain that occurs in life as we see relationships stretched and torn.  The bitterness of broken hearts and friendships is then contrasted with the truth that we will get up from this pain and rise again.   "I can see us moving on, I can feel that coming on strong", the joy that comes after the

Twenty-Four - Jess Ray

Lately I have been listening to lots of music and podcasts while working and biking to work.  I was feeling a need for some new music so I turned to NoiseTrade to check out some new artists.  My favorite thus far is Jess Ray because of the honest lyrics, tastefully simple musicality and overall enjoyable listening environment.  While on my flight back to Atlanta I was struck by this song at first because of the drums that propel this song behind the walking guitar.  If I were to add drums to a track like this it would have been done in a very similar manner.  Once I got past the drums I was awe struck by the simple power of these lyrics, take a read below and follow the link to her blog to listen.   To me it was not written for an outward expression of hope or encouragement but rather as a inward proclamation to the soul.  As the psalmist often choose to sing, this song speaks inward in a call to stand up and be reminded of truth all to often forgotten.  As I gear up for the star

You Will Be My Ain True Love - Alison Kraus

This song has so much power, even if you remove the lyrics.  I just decided to take in the full potential of the song by turning the stereo all the way up and playing the song a few times.  Before even looking for a video of this song I knew it was related to the Civil War and the separation that occurred between loved ones.  This song starts out explaining the battle field and how the soldier has survived the terrors of war.  As the song continues to build you can tell that the soldier wants to be with his love.  They have been separated by this war and now he wants to be back with her.  The last few lines portray his death and how he has been reunited with his "True Love".  I believe that this song describes his "True Love" as God, our eternal True Love. He has returned to his maker after being killed in Battle and this song paints that picture so well. This song has tons of power in the music behind the lyrics, it adds so much to the meaning of this song!