Skip to main content

Oceans(Where Feet May Fail) - Hillsong United

I started this post a few weeks ago but last night at Midtown the Lord dropped this song so deeply into my heart.  During both worship sets I went off to the side to simply sit on the ground and sing alone.  I find myself when I am worshiping looking around and focusing on the body as it worships together and that can distract me for God.  Therefore I decided to get away and just close my eyes to talk with God, while talking I saw a combination of images that the Lord was bringing back from some amazing recent memories.  Here goes what landed in my journal during worship...

"Picture of being in a river, like white water rafting, and Jesus pulled me into the raft and simply remembered me that I can walk on the cold waters, I will not get hypothermia if I stay in the water but that I can stand on the white waters and help direct rafts down the river."

This picture was triggered by the fact that just last weekend I was up on the Ocoee rafting with some great friends.  As I have walked with the Lord its amazing how the supernatural simply becomes natural!  The Lord gave a vision that has some serious significance to me by using the occurrences of just last week.

Here is what truths I felt coming out while I wrote down that picture, Jesus is my savior I can try to pull myself into the raft but I am far to weak to do it, therefore I need him to help me into the raft.  I can stay in the water, its cold and all but I won't get sick, I could go through the rapids and that would hurt, I might get my feet stuck in the rocks that causes a lot of deaths.  But overall I can stay in the water and its not gonna be that bad, for me that is describing how I can remain stagnant or cold of heart and sneak my way into heaven, and this life will be cold and bumpy but ill get through them Pearly Gates.  Next he was speaking to why he desires for me to come out of the water and join him in the raft, because he desires for me to help guide other rafts with my brothers and sisters safely through the rapids.  The water can get very rough but raft guides have a good handle on how water reacts around certain rocks, they can on most occasions keep their patrons in the raft.  I do not know in what capacity I am to help guide my brothers and sisters along this river of Life but I am totally down to learn how as I continue to learn from Christ who is guiding my raft!

Just wanted to get some of these thoughts down, not trying to defend the theological correctness of my statements just putting the musings of my heart out there...


You call me out upon the waters

The great unknown where feet may fail

And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand



And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine



Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now



So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine



Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior
[x6]



I will call upon Your Name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine


All is Life in the Presence of my Savior!
Paul Shackelford

Popular posts from this blog

Rise Again - Needtobreathe

I have been reading a book about the arts and Christians role in creating culture.  Steve Turner, the author, asserts a major critique that modern Christian art does not speak about real life.  The art created does not sound genuine or have any ties to real life that people outside the faith can connect with.  While reading the book I listened through this album and I think that this song does a great job of breaking the mold.  The members of Needtobreathe are all outspoken followers of Jesus but very little of the art that they produce mentions Jesus or Christianity at all.  Instead they craft creative music, written from places of pain and joy.   "Rise Again"  steps through pain that occurs in life as we see relationships stretched and torn.  The bitterness of broken hearts and friendships is then contrasted with the truth that we will get up from this pain and rise again.   "I can see us moving on, I can feel that coming on strong", the joy that comes after the

Twenty-Four - Jess Ray

Lately I have been listening to lots of music and podcasts while working and biking to work.  I was feeling a need for some new music so I turned to NoiseTrade to check out some new artists.  My favorite thus far is Jess Ray because of the honest lyrics, tastefully simple musicality and overall enjoyable listening environment.  While on my flight back to Atlanta I was struck by this song at first because of the drums that propel this song behind the walking guitar.  If I were to add drums to a track like this it would have been done in a very similar manner.  Once I got past the drums I was awe struck by the simple power of these lyrics, take a read below and follow the link to her blog to listen.   To me it was not written for an outward expression of hope or encouragement but rather as a inward proclamation to the soul.  As the psalmist often choose to sing, this song speaks inward in a call to stand up and be reminded of truth all to often forgotten.  As I gear up for the star

You Will Be My Ain True Love - Alison Kraus

This song has so much power, even if you remove the lyrics.  I just decided to take in the full potential of the song by turning the stereo all the way up and playing the song a few times.  Before even looking for a video of this song I knew it was related to the Civil War and the separation that occurred between loved ones.  This song starts out explaining the battle field and how the soldier has survived the terrors of war.  As the song continues to build you can tell that the soldier wants to be with his love.  They have been separated by this war and now he wants to be back with her.  The last few lines portray his death and how he has been reunited with his "True Love".  I believe that this song describes his "True Love" as God, our eternal True Love. He has returned to his maker after being killed in Battle and this song paints that picture so well. This song has tons of power in the music behind the lyrics, it adds so much to the meaning of this song!