Skip to main content

New Years Eve


Last night was a lot of fun so I will tell the story through some pictures that I took.  At the beginning of the night we really didn't know what to do, and we did some internet searches and just decided to head down to the Peach Drop.  The website said some hundred thousand people came last year so we decided that would be interesting.  

We took Marta down to Underground Atlanta and just started walking around.  It was crowded at this point, cops were everywhere, and I was getting hungry.  As we got our bearings we started walking but soon got stuck in a mob of people, about saw a couple dudes throw down, and finally got out of the mass of people and went into underground part of Underground Atlanta.  

During this whole time I started to see a side of Atlanta I had never been exposed to while at Tech.  I knew on paper that Atlanta was about 60% Black, but I had never been in a situation that the statistic actually was true.  To be honest since leaving Northwood I have had minimal interactions with Black people.  Tech has very few, its something that causes the student body to lose some of its tolerance of other races.  I see so much blatant racism at Tech, its terrible, it breaks my heart.  Because this mindset of Black people as the Drug Dealers of Atlanta just reinforces the negative stereotype of the entire race.  Its causing more and more division between these groups of Humans.  Therefore last night was great because I would say that the ratio was 80/20, Black to White.  


This is where we got trapped with no outlet!  Poor Planning!!!
Once we got out from the underground part of Underground Atlanta they decided to not let people back into the doors.  Therefore they were pushing everyone out into the steps with nowhere to go.  Since they did not let us back into the undergound area we were forces to get back into another mob and fight our way up the stairs.  During this venture we about had three fights, one EMS caravan of officers and others fighting their way through, and a pregnant lady cussing people out.  Eventually we all made it out and witnessed a rap battle going on between this super drunk white dude and this old lady.
After that escapade we decided to go and grab some food.  This time we got smart and basically walked around the block to get to a sub shop and throw down some food.  We only got stuck once on the walk over and that mob ended when EMS rammed there way through the crowd and everyone just followed the leader out of the mess.  

Once I was fed we wet outside and watched the Peach Drop.  It was very anticlimactic, but it was still very interesting.  That was my first time being at a New Years Eve celebration.  For some reason getting drunk and wandering around Atlanta is not my definition of fun, therefore these types of gatherings are not that much fun for me.  Also since I am introverted I would have enjoyed a night just chilling in my room working on some reading I am behind on.  
Before the Peach Dropped


 Once the Peach Dropped everyone went crazy and then the Fireworks started.  We were right next to where the Fireworks were being fired from, therefore it was really cool and scary at the same time.  The cardboard shells from the Fireworks would rain down on us, so I got a lot of stuff in my eyes but it was still cool.  

We were in position to escape once the Fireworks stopped so we got away from the crowds really quickly. As we were walking to the Marta Station the traffic was stopped and everyone was out of their cars dancing and being crazy.   I tried to get a photo but the camera is terrible at night and didn't focus or stabilize at all.  The product of my attempt is below.
Cool picture but it doesn't show anything
Walking past the Capital Building on the way to Marta


We got to the Marta Station and realized that we were at the Georgia Southern Station.  Therefore we would have to go to Five Points to get back to Tech.  That proves a problem because Five Points was packed out with people coming directly from Underground Atlanta.  But we had a lot of fun waiting for our train, interacting with drunk people, and finding objects to occupy our time.   Once we got a train to Five Points we were able to get on a train back to North Ave soon after.  

Last night was a lot of fun that had spurts of very frustrating interactions.

All is Great in the Lord

Paul Shackelford





Popular posts from this blog

Rise Again - Needtobreathe

I have been reading a book about the arts and Christians role in creating culture.  Steve Turner, the author, asserts a major critique that modern Christian art does not speak about real life.  The art created does not sound genuine or have any ties to real life that people outside the faith can connect with.  While reading the book I listened through this album and I think that this song does a great job of breaking the mold.  The members of Needtobreathe are all outspoken followers of Jesus but very little of the art that they produce mentions Jesus or Christianity at all.  Instead they craft creative music, written from places of pain and joy.   "Rise Again"  steps through pain that occurs in life as we see relationships stretched and torn.  The bitterness of broken hearts and friendships is then contrasted with the truth that we will get up from this pain and rise again.   "I can see us moving on, I can feel that coming on strong", the joy that comes after the

Twenty-Four - Jess Ray

Lately I have been listening to lots of music and podcasts while working and biking to work.  I was feeling a need for some new music so I turned to NoiseTrade to check out some new artists.  My favorite thus far is Jess Ray because of the honest lyrics, tastefully simple musicality and overall enjoyable listening environment.  While on my flight back to Atlanta I was struck by this song at first because of the drums that propel this song behind the walking guitar.  If I were to add drums to a track like this it would have been done in a very similar manner.  Once I got past the drums I was awe struck by the simple power of these lyrics, take a read below and follow the link to her blog to listen.   To me it was not written for an outward expression of hope or encouragement but rather as a inward proclamation to the soul.  As the psalmist often choose to sing, this song speaks inward in a call to stand up and be reminded of truth all to often forgotten.  As I gear up for the star

You Will Be My Ain True Love - Alison Kraus

This song has so much power, even if you remove the lyrics.  I just decided to take in the full potential of the song by turning the stereo all the way up and playing the song a few times.  Before even looking for a video of this song I knew it was related to the Civil War and the separation that occurred between loved ones.  This song starts out explaining the battle field and how the soldier has survived the terrors of war.  As the song continues to build you can tell that the soldier wants to be with his love.  They have been separated by this war and now he wants to be back with her.  The last few lines portray his death and how he has been reunited with his "True Love".  I believe that this song describes his "True Love" as God, our eternal True Love. He has returned to his maker after being killed in Battle and this song paints that picture so well. This song has tons of power in the music behind the lyrics, it adds so much to the meaning of this song!